Design-build · Architectural Restoration · General Contracting
Specialists in the architectural restoration, rehabilitation and repair of old and historic structures and design-build services. Serving the Greater Lehigh Valley, Bucks County, Pennsylvania, and western New Jersey for more than 25 years.
The Strand · Easton, PA
The Strand, a significantly altered (c.1830) downtown commercial building located in the Easton Historic District, was renewed with a façade restoration and period storefront reconstruction performed by R. J. Doerr Company. Based upon architectural drawings prepared by Archive, Ltd, the final scope of work, including the selection of period architectural details for replication, was developed by R. J. Doerr staff in conjunction with the property owner. Work included masonry and wood restoration, shutter replacement, storefront, and signboard construction and finishes. The project was funded in part with historic preservation/façade program grants made available through the City’s Redevelopment Authority.
· CLICK IMAGE TO ENLARGE ·
Phoenix Hose Company · Easton, PA
Constructed in 1857 as the headquarters of Phoenix Hose Company, this complex of three buildings, located in the Easton Historic District, stood vacant for more than 20 years. Consisting of the Engine House (219 Ferry St.), the Stable (217 Ferry St.) and the Watch Captain's House (44 South Sitgreaves St.), together this group represents the Lehigh Valleys oldest surviving fire company. Slated for demolition, these historic resources were saved and restored and renovated, with the support of state and local entities, by R. J. Doerr Company. Working with Archive Ltd., Architects of Easton, and the Pennsylvania State Historic Preservation Office, a program for restoration and rehabilitation was developed in accord with the Secretary of the Interiors Standards for Rehabilitation. Great effort was taken to retain the buildings' historic features. The rehabiliation consisted of a complete interior and exterior overhall of the long derelict structure. Mechanical and electrical systems were completely replaced while structural components were repaired or replaced as required. The interiors were returned to productive use as retail and office spaces, in full compliance with modern life - safety code requirements. With funtional interiors and reconsituted historic facades, the structures were reintroduced to the Easton community with a fresh identity and are now a component of an increasingly vibrant urban core.